[PD-dev] preferences GUI behavior proposal

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 16:13:40 CEST 2017

In debugging some preferences GUI behavior, I'm wondering about the need for the "Save all preferences" menu option. I say that because, so far, both the path and startup dialogs already send "pd save-preferences" when the ok button is pressed. Also, the audio dialog has the "Save All Settings" button and we really only need to add similar functionality to the midi dialog.

I propose the following:
* path & startup dialogs save preferences with ok button (current behavior)
* audio & midi dialogs save preferences with ok button (add this)
* remove "Save all preferences" button in audio dialog
* remove "Save all preferences" menu option as I think this is counterintuitive...

Conceptually I see things like this:
* there is a current preference state at all times
* the state is loaded from the default location at start
* this state can be updated when making changes in the dialogs and hitting the ok button
* I can save and load the state to and from external files
* I can clear the state

The "Save all preferences" menu option implies there are separate states between the GUI and pd core. As far as I can tell, there currently aren't.

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>