[PD-dev] preferences GUI behavior proposal

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 16:53:37 CEST 2017

*sigh*

Yes, that's the plan, however it depends on a number of things and is not trivial, mainly due to macOS still being stuck with Tk 8.4 for now. I answered this same request on the pd-list already.

My current suggestion is the pragmatic approach that doesn't involve me spending another week on Pd working on dialogs.

> On Jul 19, 2017, at 4:51 PM, Paul Rankin <hello at paulwrankin.com> wrote:
>
> What about merging all the preference dialogs into one, with tabs?
>
> --
> www.paulwrankin.com
>
> On Thu, 20 Jul 2017, at 12:13 AM, Dan Wilcox wrote:
>> In debugging some preferences GUI behavior, I'm wondering about the need for the "Save all preferences" menu option. I say that because, so far, both the path and startup dialogs already send "pd save-preferences" when the ok button is pressed. Also, the audio dialog has the "Save All Settings" button and we really only need to add similar functionality to the midi dialog.
>>
>> I propose the following:
>> * path & startup dialogs save preferences with ok button (current behavior)
>> * audio & midi dialogs save preferences with ok button (add this)
>> * remove "Save all preferences" button in audio dialog
>> * remove "Save all preferences" menu option as I think this is counterintuitive...
>>
>> Conceptually I see things like this:
>> * there is a current preference state at all times
>> * the state is loaded from the default location at start
>> * this state can be updated when making changes in the dialogs and hitting the ok button
>> * I can save and load the state to and from external files
>> * I can clear the state
>>
>> The "Save all preferences" menu option implies there are separate states between the GUI and pd core. As far as I can tell, there currently aren't.
>>
>> --------
>> Dan Wilcox
>> @danomatika <http://twitter.com/danomatika>
>> danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>