[PD-dev] preferences GUI behavior proposal

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 12:08:00 CEST 2017

> On Jul 20, 2017, at 12:00 PM, pd-dev-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> From: Paul Rankin <hello at paulwrankin.com <mailto:hello at paulwrankin.com>>
> Subject: Re: [PD-dev] preferences GUI behavior proposal
> Date: July 20, 2017 at 5:41:24 AM GMT+2
> To: Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com <mailto:danomatika at gmail.com>>
> Cc: pd-dev at iem.at <mailto:pd-dev at iem.at>
>
> What's the pathway towards using Tcl/Tk > 8.6 for macOS? Could Pd.app be bundled with embedded Tcl/Tk build from their master branch? A can of what kind of worms will this open?

Just build the Pd app bundle with the embedded frameworks using the scripts in the mac folder. See the readme. Pd should work fine with 8.7 once we have the font rendering fix from Miller & DejaVu Sans Mono as an included font.

> Fwiw the READMEs in Tcl/Tk master branch refer to it as 8.7 now.

I saw, it's the initial alpha0.

The trick is the fact that there are plenty of older macOS 10.6 - 10.8 machines around, especially at universities and music studios, so it is worthwhile to keep things working for Tk 8.4 if possible. At some point we'll need a hard break, but as I see it, we don't need to yet. That's why my thought is to make a hybrid solution where the current dialog code is used to make separate dialogs in Tk 8.4 and as embedded tabs in Tk 8.5. Should be possible without ripping *everything* apart...

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>