[PD-dev] 0.48.0 release status

Christof Ressi christof.ressi at gmx.at
Fri Jul 21 18:20:49 CEST 2017

Thanks for your answer! I guess it doesn't have high priority but anyway, the thing is this:

I'm really happy about [list store] but I think it can be way more expressive. My idea was to take the interface of [text] and [array] to add more methods.

First, I renamed [range( to [get( (but kept the old method around as an alias) because it's structurally very similar to [text get] and [array get].

Then I added a method [set <f> ...( which lets you overwrite atoms, just like [text set] and [array set]. the first float is the index, followed by the atoms you want to copy.

Then I added a general [insert <f> ...( method which lets you insert atoms, where the first float is the index, followed by the atoms you want to insert *before* that index. A large index lets you append atoms. I kept [prepend ...( and [append ...( as shortcuts for those two special cases.

Finally I added a [delete <f> <f>( method where the first float is the index to start deleting and the second float is the number of floats to delete.

---

These methods would turn [list store] into a powerful dynamically sized type-agnostic array - which we don't have in Pd yet! [text] comes closest, but it doesn't handle pointers and it bashes everything to binbufs which sometimes leads to unexpected or undesired behaviour.

Please find my version of x_list.c(which also includes the bug fix that you've already applied) and a messy test patch attached. I didn't have much time...

The methods works well with floats and symbols but there are mysterious bugs with pointers. Not only with my new method but also with your [range( method (which I didn't change). For example, sequencing a list of pointers creates 'consistency check failed' errors with [print] and sometimes there are crashes with segmentation faults.

Also, I'm wondering if memmove() and realloc() is really safe with arrays of t_listelem because a gpointer atom l_a inside t_listelem points to l_a. when the array changes location in memory, won't the pointer point to the wrong location?

I know there are more important things to do right now. Just have look when you have time.

Thanks!

Christof