[PD-dev] Kevin Haywood <khaywood at ucsd.edu>

Kevin Haywood khaywood at ucsd.edu
Mon Jul 24 16:13:46 CEST 2017

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your response.  Comments inline below.

> On Jul 24, 2017, at 3:58 AM, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hello fellow puritans, I’m forwarding this to this list at Miller’s request:
>
> I think you're seeing some ghost bugs...
>
>> I just grabbed test5, and right away found three graphical errors on latest macOS (10.12.6).  The first is seen in the Log chooser of the Pd window - there are ellipses displayed.
>
> Did you use a previous test version? If so, there was a bug in the loglevel saving/loading which was added where the log level was being erroneously saved as an array when it should be saved as a single string. What you're seeing is the older array value being loaded as a string.
>
> Simplest solution is to delete the value from your gui preferences with:
>
>      defaults delete org.puredata.pd-pd-gui loglevel
>
> This error will *only* come up for those on macOS who used test3 and changed the log level.

Yes, I did use test3, and while I don’t think I ever changed the log level, clearing the gui prefs clears this up in test5.

>> The second and third are seen in the next screenshot: the entries in File > Open Recent each have an incremental number of apostrophes appended to their names.
>
> This is also a holdover error from an earlier test release, clear the menu and then try opening files to double check the entries are added and work when clicked on.
>
>> Thirdly, the Help Browser behaves unusually in multiple ways: first of all, it starts off with the top item double-selected (both blue highlight and dotted border to the blue highlight), but despite the double duty, you still have to click to select that item again in order to get the next column to show up.
>
> That's normal and was the previous behavior. Hit enter or click.

In macOS 0.47-1 64-bit, there’s nothing that gets selected automatically when opening the Help Browser.  When I do click to select something, I don’t get the black dotted border on the blue highlight.

>> If you use the keyboard arrow keys to navigate the Help Browser, and have navigated to at least the second column, if you use the left-arrow to navigate back one column, then use the up- or down-arrow keys to browse the items in the current column, the right-most column doesn’t update its contents, instead retaining the contents it had previously, creating a visual mismatch, as seen in the screenshot.
>
> That's also normal / previous behavior. Click or hit the right button to update. If the browser updates whenever you navigate it goes a bit crazy visually.

This is also not previous behavior for me: in macOS 0.47-1 64-bit, whichever column is to the right of the current selection always reflects the contents of the current selection (mimicking the behavior of the macOS Finder, as one example).

Kind regards,
Kevin