[PD-dev] libpd multiinstance issues, pd: unknown message dsp 1

Alex x37v.alex at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 17:29:53 CEST 2017

Hi,

I'm trying to update my project, pdlv2, to use the new pd multi instance
support and I'm having some issues which I'm assuming someone else has to
have seen.

I'm getting the errors:
pd: unknown message dsp 1
error: canvasmaker: no method for 'canvas'
[the whole output is below, prefixed with "LIBPD:" so I can be sure of the
source]

The project builds an LV2 plugin out of PD patch, using some specific
markup for a patch. The major difference between it and the multi instance
'sample' in the 'c' directory of the libpd/samples folder is that it is
built into a shared object that is loaded into an 'lv2' plugin host.

Here is the branch of the project I'm working on that shows the issue:
https://github.com/x37v/pdlv2/tree/multiinstancelibpd

It depends on ruby, libpd, lv2 and jalv.gtk to test. I've only tried it on
Linux.

An earlier commit, without the instance support, works for a single
instance of the lv2 plugin:
https://github.com/x37v/pdlv2/commit/1701d1b08f641a3023800f422695e733b0984f05

I'm using libpd master: 9a0bbd2a2b461c8345d5df5e9d347510b37756db

Any ideas whats up? I used to explicitly load the libpd.so into its own
memory space from a unique temp file and that worked but wasn't ideal. Real
multi instance support is going to be nice once I can get that going :) It
seems like it must be an initialization or compile flag issue?

Here is all the output from libpd when loaded in the host, using the most
recent version of my code:
LIBPD: bonk version 1.5
LIBPD: fiddle version 1.1 TEST4
LIBPD: pique 0.1 for PD version 23
LIBPD: sigmund~ version 0.07
LIBPD: pd: unknown message dsp LIBPD:  LIBPD: 1LIBPD:
LIBPD: error: canvasmaker: no method for 'canvas'
LIBPD: verbose(4): ... you might be able to track this down from the Find
menu.
LIBPD: error: #X: no such object
LIBPD: error: #X: no such object
LIBPD: error: #X: no such object
LIBPD: error: #X: no such object
LIBPD: error: #X: no such object
LIBPD: error: #X: no such object
LIBPD: error: #X: no such object
LIBPD: error: #X: no such object
LIBPD: error: canvas: no method for 'loadbang'

Thanks tons for any help you can provide!
Alex