[PD-dev] atoms not same height as objects?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Sep 21 09:55:50 CEST 2017

On 2017-09-20 18:53, Dan Wilcox wrote:
> I'm thinking of having, at the very least, a start flag to choose the extended styling ala "-style extended." This could be used as the basis for adding some sort of styling file parsing/loading, but that's beyond what I'm looking to do right now.

urgh!

so people are supposed building their GUIs to be pixel-by-pixel correct
(because this seems to be what many here *want* to do), and then we have
a flag to destroy their attempts?
and when you hand out your patches, there's a README saying that "this
patch must be opened with the '-style extended-is-the-new-legacy' to
look correctly"?

honestly, i think a better option is to have people add a line to the
README saying "this patch must be opened with Pd-extended-0.39 on
OSX-10.5 to look correctly" and spend dev-time on more meaningful things.

an even better solution would be to have a consistent style that works
on all platforms; even if that means breaking compat with older versions
of Pd *and* with a project that has been dead for almost 5 years (and
will stay dead).
i see most of Dan's work in this light (my point is simply to not spend
time on startup flags).

fgmasdr
IOhannes

PS: being able to style (specific) patches in a CSS-like fashion (e.g.
using GUI-plugins or whatever) would of course be ace.