[PD-dev] Abstracting GUI communication. Was: canvas moveto

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 6 02:12:25 CET 2017

> On 04-11-17 23:42, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
>>> Is this the problem that Purr-data and CICM tried to solve?

>> Purr Data uses a generic interface for speaking to the GUI.
>>
>> The spec for Purr Data's communication from Pd to the GUI is here:
>>
>> https://git.purrdata.net/jwilkes/purr-data/tree/master#gui-messaging-specification

> Both the current Pure Data and Purr Data interface use drawing

> primitives.

Not for everything. For example, text/message/object box edition

currently happens with the kind of interface you're describing.

> The PDCon2016 discussion was about replacing it with

> somewhat more high-level, like 'draw me a standard object box with X

> name, Y inlets and Z outlets'.

Because Pd has no specification for GUI behavior, I chose to do a

"primitive for primitive" port from tcl/tk to nw.js and only incrementally

change some of the primitives to what you're calling somewhat more

high-level, and only in those cases where performance dictated it to

be necessary.

-Jonathan