[PD-dev] Pd 0.48 app bundle without src dir

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 00:24:12 CET 2017

Well, it's possible, but I'm not sure yet what the best way to do this might be. It's probably worth looking at other projects that do this. Perhaps IOhannes has some ideas working with Debian, etc. I'm less familiar with this approach as I'm used to downloading and building the source-only tarballs for other projects.

Like a lot of things, there might be support for this style distribution in autoconf/automake and we just need to use it (hopefully). I'd say this might be more of a 0.49 goal.

> On Dec 3, 2017, at 12:20 AM, Miller Puckette <msp at ucsd.edu> wrote:
>
> I think that means that I would have to switch from my bare source release
> style to releasing an autotools-source-release.  And then anyhow throwing
> the autotools-source-release into the compiled releases.
>
> cheers
>
> On Sun, Dec 03, 2017 at 12:15:37AM +0100, Dan Wilcox wrote:
>> Despite popular opinion, an auto tools source release has already created the configure script so users do *not* need to run the autotools themselves, just ./configure && make.
>>
>> One difference is that the mac and windows releases rely on a slightly different folder structure than that of the expected auto tools install (ie. Unix-style layout). In this case, one option is to leave everything in a source directory as suggested and then have a separate installer script which puts things into the right place. IMO it's easier to let configure/make do their jobs and extra stuff like this is better handled by installing into a temp directory and/or using a script to put things "in the right place".
>>
>> It's totally possible and probably the next step after the Windows build is ironed out. (We are working on it: https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/issues/25#issuecomment-348724495 <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/issues/25#issuecomment-348724495>)
>>
>>> On Dec 3, 2017, at 12:08 AM, Miller Puckette <msp at ucsd.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> You'd no longer just be able to change
>>> something and hit 'make' - instead you'd have to download the whole autotools
>>> horrorshow and do it the "official" way.
>>
>> --------
>> Dan Wilcox
>> @danomatika <http://twitter.com/danomatika>
>> danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>