[PD-dev] How to customize Pd.app for macOS?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Dec 13 16:01:36 CET 2017

On 2017-12-13 14:56, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> I guess I figured it out.
>
> From the scripts in <pd>/mac/ I found that <app>/Contents/MacOS/Pd is
> actually a wish binary, which starts <app>/Contents/Resources/tcl/pd-
> gui.tcl, which in turn starts the pd binary in
> <app>/Contents/Resources/bin/pd.

actually, you can put a plist file named "org.puredata.pd" (without the
".plist" suffix) into the app-bundle, and Pd will read it.
afaict, the location of the file should be "Pd.app/Contents/" (but might
be "Pd.app/Contents/Resources/").
this file (if present) will get read before any user preferences.
however, user preferences can still override any settings therein, and
thus modify the expected preferences).

> So what I do now is to edit the appropriate line in pd-gui.tcl
> (currently 781) and specify the desired start options there:
>
>   exec -- $pd_exec -guiport $::port -open ../patches/mypatch.pd &

here at least you could also do a "-noprefs"
(but then, the user might want to store their soundcard setups).

it might be *quit* nice to be able to use a different namespace for your
applications settings, without having to recompile.
probably using a cmdline flag.

fgadmr
IOhannes