[PD-dev] How to customize Pd.app for macOS?

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 16:43:40 CET 2017

> On Dec 13, 2017, at 2:56 PM, pd-dev-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> From: Roman Haefeli <reduzent at gmail.com <mailto:reduzent at gmail.com>>
> To: "pd-dev at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-dev at lists.iem.at>" <pd-dev at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-dev at lists.iem.at>>
> Subject: Re: [PD-dev] How to customize Pd.app for macOS?
>
> I guess I figured it out.
>
> From the scripts in <pd>/mac/ I found that <app>/Contents/MacOS/Pd is
> actually a wish binary, which starts <app>/Contents/Resources/tcl/pd-
> gui.tcl, which in turn starts the pd binary in
> <app>/Contents/Resources/bin/pd.
>
> So what I do now is to edit the appropriate line in pd-gui.tcl
> (currently 781) and specify the desired start options there:
>
>   exec -- $pd_exec -guiport $::port -open ../patches/mypatch.pd &
>
> Seems to work.

This is the approach I would take.

> BTW, I'm amazed how easy it is to build a Pd.app on macOS. Nice work,
> Dan!

Thanks. I think Pd should be as easy to build as possible and it's starting to pay off.

Don't forget that macOS 10.13 doesn't come with Tk 8.4 anymore, so make sure you build the .app with a TK 8.5 Wish. The current "make app" target uses the old way, but I have a PR that updates it to build the app with the same Tk version used with Miller's release builds: https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/265 <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/265>

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>