[PD-dev] GUI objects with libpd but without tcl/tk

Pierre Guillot guillotpierre6 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 11:52:31 CET 2018

Hi devs,

What would be the best approach to use the GUI objects from x_gui.c
(openpanel, savepanel and key) using libpd without tcl/tk ? For key I only
need to send messages to gensym(#key) but for the other I don't know. I
don't really understand how sys_startgui works. If I can use this method to
"catch" the communication that normally would be destined to tcl/tk?
Another approach would be to rewrite the sys_vgui function and to catch the
openpanel and savepanel messages but I would prefer not to hack the pd
code. Perhaps a solution would be to add in the Pd source #ifndef
PD_EXTERN_GUI around the function that allows to rewrite the function
without interfering with the main code but if there is a solution that
doesn't necessitate to touch the Pd sources at all it would be better.

Cheers,
Pierre