[PD-dev] configure + makefiles

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 01:52:51 CET 2018

On 1/15/18, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Jan 15, 2018, at 11:21 PM, katja <katjavetter at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I find it
>> indispensable to have targets that print variables, dependencies,
>> intermediate output (preprocessor and assembly) and such.
>
> For this, you can use the verbose make option "make V=1" or "make VERBOSE=1"
> and/or a dry run "make -n"
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5820303/how-do-i-force-make-gcc-to-show-me-the-commands
> <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5820303/how-do-i-force-make-gcc-to-show-me-the-commands>

What I mean is targets that give you specific info (but not doing the
build). Like printing a list of all makefile variables with their
values, or a list of paths, or dependencies (so you need not search
through thousands lines of build log). Or print / save preprocessor /
assembly output for a specific C file. Such targets are easy to set up
if you have full control over variable definitions. Pdlibbuilder has
such 'convenience' targets and they're helpful not only during C
development but also when people report issues.

But this doesn't touch upon your central question of unifying Miller's
makefile approach with the autotools, it would be an extra feature
rather.

Katja