[PD-dev] pdlibbuilder and static linking pthread by default on Windows.

Lucas Cordiviola lucarda27 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 6 16:13:49 CET 2018

We have been working on pdlibbuilder and I've proposed static linking
pthread by default.

https://github.com/pure-data/pd-lib-builder/issues/42

https://github.com/pure-data/pd-lib-builder/issues/36

My motivation on doing such thing is to prevent people from forgetting
to ship libwinpthread-1.dll when needed.

There are many chances for this to happen as when we test an compiled
[external] it will be working with Pd's libwinpthread-1.dll so we might
think that everything is OK. Also people from linux & osx are not really
aware that on Windows/MinGW pthread is an specific file.

This in turn will let the [external] survive when Pd, in some future,
will start using a future MinGW pthread implementation.

We discussed this but IOhannes & Dan see static linking as something
horrible.
I see that there's no difference in shipping the file or statically
include it in the [external].
I also tested that [externals] that don't use pthread are immune to the
-static flag.

Is there something I'm missing?
Why not putting a "lifebuoy" by default ?

If a dev does not want -static he/she can override it.

Some thoughts?
community ?

I ask this because I care about Windows Pd and [externals].