[PD-dev] pdlibbuilder and static linking pthread by default on Windows.

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Feb 7 09:59:26 CET 2018

On 2018-02-06 17:06, Martin Peach wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 10:43 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
> wrote:
>

>> in Pd-extended, there are 10 out of 112 (different) libraries usable on
>> Windows in the entire deken repositories that have the libpthread
>> library included, presumably because they actually need this library.
>>
>> of these 10 libraries, the following 6 come from the big Pd-extended
>> import, and have not been updated since (and are presumably unmaintained):
>> - hidin
>> - iemxmlrpc
>> - mrpeach (+ net)
>> - pdogg
>> - unauthorized
>>
>> I have been workjng on mrpeach in sourceforge svn recently, so I _am_
> maintaining it,

oops indeed.
sorry if my message came through as "declaring 'mrpeach' dead upstream",
it was not intended.
i'm pretty well aware of you actively maintaining the "mrpeach" library
(and i happen to have uploaded a new snapshot of pd-mrpeach to Debian
just 3 days ago).
i rephrased the mail several times and i'm pretty sure that in one
iteration it had "mrpeach" not counted as "unmaintained".

having said that, the mrpeach version that people can download via deken
is still the very one taken from Pd-extended.
so for the many end-users, it indeed *looks* unmaintained.

> The readme here:
> https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/tree/master/msw
> talks about some hybrid build system on wine using mingw and msw but gives
> no indication of how to set it up

adding to what dan said: we (dan, christof, me) recently put some work
into that and there is now a build system that allows to build Pd for
Windows both natively on Windows (using MinGW) and via cross-compilation
on Linux, without wine & MSVC.

https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/299

(the PR is still open, but afaict miller likes it)

> I don't see why one must use a linux box to compile for Windows, it's just
> offputting.

the "msw/" directory documents the release procedure of miller and - as
the readme puts it - "is a mess".
it is rather meant to get a glimpse of what is really going on, rather
than a set of instructions to follow to create your own "release of
vanilla".

many devs who are used to linux, prefer to do all the work there and
cross-compile whenver possible (even if it involves setting up some wine
magic, bells and whistles once). at least that's how i feel about it
(and given the documented workflow in msw/ it seems others do so as well).

anyhow, PR#299 also adds a lot of documentation to README.txt and
msw/README.txt, which basically boils down to an easy to follow guide
for the casual coder to compile their own version of Pd for the Win32
platform.

fgdasr
IOhannes