[PD-dev] osx -stdlib path

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 19:19:43 CET 2018

> I have an external I've created that I've put into:
> /Users/alex/Documents/Pd/externals/jit_expr/
> the binary is called "jit_expr.pd_darwin" (...) when I [declare -stdlib
> jit_expr] I then fail to create [jit/expr]
> On my home, linux machine, where my external folder is located at
> /home/alex/.local/lib/pd/externals/jit_expr and appropriately named
> jit_expr.pd_linux
> I succeed to create [jit/expr] after [declare -stdlib jit_expr]
>
> Is this a bug am I not following some naming convention that I should be?

Yes, I would call it a bug, of some sort.

The way things are now in regards to what a standard path is or should be
is unclear to most people. And when the recent addition of the folder ~
/Documents/Pd/externals (as you're using) was being included for macOS I
really thought it should be then included as a new "standard path" - as you
did too right now - and made a Pull Request for it, but it got rejected.

As it turns out, from the discussion on that Pull Request, the "Standard
Path" is only supposed to be the "extra" folder.

This is ok, as long as it's made clear, and in fact, if you check Pd's
manual, that's all you'll see, that the "standard folder" IS the "extra"
folder. But is known by several Pd users that Pd has actually got other
standard paths, for macOS, Windows and Linux. The one you are using for
externals in Linux is actually considered by Pd a "standard folder", so
this works there, but not in ~/Pd/Documents on a mac!

I still don't know why these extra standard folders came about, since the
idea is that only "extra" should be a standard folder. I guess this was
somehow included by "accident", or "unnoticed". But I know how the Pd
community site has long well documented and talked about the existence of
such additional standard folders. Maybe it was a practice from Pd Extended
that somehow got into Pd? I don't know...

All I know is that we have this confusing scenario, and I've recently wrote
a well detailed documentation on how to manage externals in Pd. But I'm
holding it back until we have this situation better cleared out. There are
also parallel discussions and suggestions being made currently to Pd, so
I'm also waiting to see how that goes. See this for instance:
https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/205

And the exact same issue as you pointed out was already opened on Pd's
github as well, here it is:
https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/issues/237

It was closed cause, well, this is known and intentional, but I still think
we have more to do. Regarding this conflicting and confusion situation
about additional and  "standard paths" that are in conflict to Pd's own
documentation, I have a new PR suggesting to just get rid of them here:
https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/183

Cause, as I see it, we either clean this up, or we have all these current
and known paths as "standard paths" and document them as so, and also
include the new ~/Pd/Documents/externals on mac as a new one - but since
that already got rejected, cleaning up is the only way to go as I see it.

> [declare -lib jit_expr] worked on my osx machine.

Yeah, well, so, as I said, you should not bother to use "-stdlib" or
"-stdpath"  unless you were using the "extra" folder, so this is what you
should do indeed.

cheers