[PD-dev] Github being bought by MS

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 16:05:18 CEST 2018

I originally started using Github for Pd mainly because it would make it far easier for people to contribute to the project, ie. PR instead of .patch files. It's definitely delivered on that aspect.

I also agree on not jumping ship on a whim. It would be better to leverage one of the university connections and find a stable, more long term location. Its git, after all, so it's easy to just push to a new location. It becomes harder to carry the unfinished work, like open PRs with us, so that would need to be managed/mirrored for a while.

I also set up a Gitlab some of us are using internally at ZKM and it's pretty useful so far. As always, someone needs to maintain and backup the server and it would be great if a university IT department could handle that. :)

> On Jun 5, 2018, at 6:00 AM, pd-dev-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2018 17:27:48 +0200
> From: "Christof Ressi" <christof.ressi at gmx.at <mailto:christof.ressi at gmx.at>>
> To: pd-dev <pd-dev at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-dev at lists.iem.at>>
> Subject: Re: [PD-dev] Github being bought by MS

> Actually, Sourceforge has been pretty evil in the past (like injecting installers with adware) and the new owners are still trying to recover from it. I guess Microsoft will be very careful not to mess up things with GitHub :-)

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>