[PD-dev] PD AutoComplete Plugin

Henri Augusto Bisognini msndohenri at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 10 22:11:12 CEST 2018

Yes, definitely!

I didn't mean in merging right now. It's an idea for the future. That's why i'm starting this discussion now. To be prepared and take considerations regarding that goal during development and for devs to share their ideas on the subject.

Right know the plugin overwrites the pdtk_text_editing proc in pdtk_text.tcl and the script is only triggered when the user presses the Tab key. I'm not 100% about limitations and implications of this. For ex:

- what if other plugin by any change also overwrites pdtk_text_editing? (unlikely but possible)
- it would be nice that after writing "[send" the auto complete plugin allowed seraching among send/receive names. Such thing was intended by Yvan but in his implementation he could only detect when those names were created. But the user might just delete all [s][r] objects with those names, rename all of them or just close their containing patch. This way the names would still appear as suggestions despite not existing anymore. The names would also be lost between pd sessions. That's why right know i just disabled this feature. So i think i direct communication with pd would be the best way to do this. Would this be possible without integration with PD?

It's all on an early stage but just some updates on the current state of testing:

-We've been testing the plugin and it reportedly worked in all win 7 machines we've used.
-Worked in some linux machines but we found minor problems in others.
-(Sierra/Yosemite) The listbox popup doesn't show on OS X right know but the rest of the plugin is working (the user can press up/down and type enter to get a random object, which tells us the underlying code is working)

We need more tests in all platforms! Running PD in RPI is more advanced so i guess it will be easier to find people to test it in the mailing lists :)

Cheers,

Henri.