[PD-dev] PD AutoComplete Plugin

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 19:37:22 CEST 2018

> On 2018-06-11 05:21, IOhannes wrote:
> > ithink it is one of max's most cumbersome "inventions", and actively hinders
> patching.
>
> I've never been a Max user. I've only experimented with it twice at a
> studio but nothing more.
>
> Why it is cumbersome and hinders patching?

In Max I agree it's rather annoying, as all of Max's interface. But yeah,
this is totally different as it's only activated with the tab key.

> It also allows for really fast typing and automatically types the library
> names for you.

You can very quickly type long stuff like

> list-abs/list-unitvec
> zexy/0x3d0x3d0x7e
> list-abs/list-geometric-mean
> mrpeach/packOSCstream
>
> thus encouraging use of "namespaces", which facilitates good
> patching practices because it avoids

name collisions and also allows for easy finding missing dependencies. Such
> "namespace" use is

not something i see everyday even in some experienced user's code.

if you're sharing patches, I can see it's a good practice, but personally,
I just like to avoid namespaces.
But I can see why it's best to have it include namespaces by default as

The only thing it can't do is to read inside those sys dependent files to
> know what objects are there inside

monolithic libraries, like zexy. For that reason it reads a .txt file that
> the user can set that contains that information.

currently, deken can use a list of objects to search for libraries when you
give it an object name. I do provide these text files also as
part of the library. If such a text file is provided, the plugin could
automatically search that without having the users need to make lists
of their own.

cheers