[PD-dev] Thoughts on git & github workflows

Miller Puckette msp at ucsd.edu
Wed Sep 12 19:59:42 CEST 2018

This is essentially how I do it too... for PRs on the pure-data project it's
like this:

a=<name of branch>
git fetch https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data.git  $a
git checkout -b $a FETCH_HEAD
git checkout -b tempmerge master
git merge $a

If the temporary merge seems to work (or if I can fix it up so that it works) I
can then merge it back into master; if I get hung up in merge problems I can delete
the branches and it's as if I didn't do anything.

I started doing this when I tried to merge the memory leaks/management PR and ended
up having to do a lot of conflict resolution by hand, then gave up in the middle of
the process but couldn't figure out how to unwind the changes I had made to master.
(There are still buts of code floating around from that, so I've also made it
much harder to ever apply that PR in the future).

I think of git as a kitchen blender, very powerful when used correctly, but if
you've ever started one without remembering to put the top on you will also learn
of its power to spread mayhem.

cheers
Miller