[PD-dev] updating portaudio and portmidi

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 19:58:39 CEST 2018

It should be relatively easy to do the update and I think there could be some major advantages.

For instance, I notice now that unplug handling for mac was added to portaudio in 2016 so I probably didn't need to make a manual fix after all (although I think my solution is more elegant). This means the version in the repo now is older than 2016 and I could imagine the current stable version includes fixes for things like bad strings crashing the Pd gui on a Japanese Windows system.

I also know there was a good amount of work on portmidi for the latest major release of Audacity. Probably good things there too.

I'm relatively sure it should be ok and I can easily bring in the local changes we need, but of course it would be safest to have at least 1 test release for people to try. I can do it pretty soon in a separate branch, maybe tonight so I too can get it out of the way for now. :)

> On Sep 22, 2018, at 6:33 PM, Miller Puckette <msp at ucsd.edu> wrote:
> Hi Dan -
> I'm hoping to get 0.49 out over the weekend, certainly by Thursday AM when
> I start teaching with it - selfish I suppose, but I have a whole library
> using eh savestate feature, and I'm really tired of students opening the
> same patch 3 times and getting confused, and the deep undo feature is way
> way overdue.
> Are any of the portaudio/portmidi changes urgent, or can they wait for a
> 0.49-1 or even a 0.50 release (former case, in 2 or 3 weeks as a bug-fixer;
> latter case, January or February) ?
> cheers
> Miller
> On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 04:35:50PM +0200, Dan Wilcox wrote:
>> I will try to update Pd's included copy of portaudio and portmidi. I know from another project that the portaudio device string handling has been improved (on macOS at least) and longer names are no longer truncated.
>> One issue with doing this is I've made some changes to both libs in order to fix things we've found in Pd. These have been forwarded upstream but I'm not sure if they are in any of the newer stable releases. My plan is pull out of these that we still need into separate patch files and either write a script for updating both libs and/or simple instructions on updating and applying any patches. This way we don't have to worry about losing any hard-won fixes while still being able to upgrade with new Pd releases. This approach is similar to that I've taken with applying the key fixes to TK 8.5.19 for the mac app build.
>> I'll try to get to this in the next few days.
>> --------
>> Dan Wilcox
>> @danomatika <http://twitter.com/danomatika <http://twitter.com/danomatika>>
>> danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/> <http://danomatika.com/ <http://danomatika.com/>>
>> robotcowboy.com <http://robotcowboy.com/> <http://robotcowboy.com/ <http://robotcowboy.com/>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Pd-dev mailing list
>> Pd-dev at lists.iem.at <mailto:Pd-dev at lists.iem.at>
>> https://lists.puredata.info/listinfo/pd-dev <https://lists.puredata.info/listinfo/pd-dev>
Dan Wilcox
@danomatika <http://twitter.com/danomatika>
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>
robotcowboy.com <http://robotcowboy.com/>

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-dev/attachments/20180922/eee7119f/attachment-0001.html>

More information about the Pd-dev mailing list