[PD-dev] how to fix m4 unrecognized --gnu option on macos?

Federico Camara Halac camarafede at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 23:54:18 CET 2019

Hello,

I am having this issue trying to compile from git but can't wrap my heads
around it. This is the issue:

pure-data $ ./autogen.sh

autoreconf: Entering directory `.'

autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext

autoreconf: running: aclocal --force -I m4/generated -I m4

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/m4:
unrecognized option `--gnu'

Try
`/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/m4
--help' for more information.

autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1

aclocal: error: echo failed with exit status: 1

autoreconf: aclocal failed with exit status: 1

I realize the problem must be with my current environment (I never had this
problem before) but I can't figure out where or how to fix it. I tried
checking if the problem is in m4, so I do:

$ which m4

/usr/local/opt/m4/bin/m4

$ m4 --version

m4 (GNU M4) 1.4.18

But, I also have:

$ /usr/bin/m4 --version

GNU M4 1.4.6

Which (i guess) it's the same as:

$
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/m4
--version

GNU M4 1.4.6

Any pointers on how I can fix this would be really appreciated!

Cheers,

fede