[PD-dev] removing pd/bin/msvr*.dll from Pd/win

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Jan 23 00:37:13 CET 2019

On 1/22/19 11:36 PM, Miller Puckette wrote:
> Would this mean that anyone shipping a binary external for Windows would
> have to put it in a separate directory with its own msvcrt.dll/msvcr90.dll?
> Sounds like a nightmare to me.

but i think that's really the only sane way.
unless you can guarantee that Pd and all externals are built with the
same compiler.

> I don't understand the issues yet... in particular, since pdlibbuilder uses
> mingw on Windows, how does it work with Pd if mingw and msvcr*dll aren't
> compatible?  Is pdlibbuilder/mingw statically linking in its own msvcr*?

yes, i think so (but i'm really not quite sure).

LDFLAGS="-static-libgcc -shared -Wl,--enable-auto-import $(PDBINDIR)/pd.dll"

sounds like:
- statically linking the C-runtime ("-static-libgcc").
- don't search the PDBINDIR for potentially clashing libraries.

but i really don't know.

afaict, Gem really requires to link against msvcrt.
and gives me endless troubles, because of this¹.
other libraries probably don't (e.g. the pd-lib-builder ones).

gfmad
IOhannes

¹and then there's libwinpthread-1.dll, which gives me evenmore
headache...but mor eon that another day.