[PD-dev] local canvas-only pd_bind

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 14:28:28 CET 2019

Some good ideas.

I agree that GOP is basically a natural analogy to a tracking area already, so that might be a good place to look. Perhaps this can be rolled into the name canvas mechanism whereby a named canvas will receive mouse events when GOP is enabled?

> Hi Dan, thanks for looking into this! This is really, really needed.
>
> I think with the [mouse] object, [mousearea] can be easily created as a subpatch with GOP enabled, so I don't think we need a dedicated GUI object for that.
>
> regarding [cnv]: I think getting notifications for mouse clicks would be nice (in the past, people have faked this by putting other GUI objects below the canvas, but it's really clumsy).
>

> Christof

>> On Mar 17, 2019, at 1:38 PM, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> That's a similar concept to Cocoa's NSTrackingArea. It's basically a rectangle in a view that you attach which then receives mouse enter, leave, move, down, up, & drag events. You can update the position and size whenever.
>>
>> https://developer.apple.com/documentation/appkit/nstrackingarea?language=objc <https://developer.apple.com/documentation/appkit/nstrackingarea?language=objc>
>>
>> I could imagine something similar in Pd, say a [mousearea] object. Also, updating [cnv] with similar functionality would be useful. [mousearea] could be used for arbitrary areas for control interaction and drawing of other objects while [cnv] could be used to create simple graphical regions for things like piano keys. I know there have been different approaches in this area, so it might be helpful to take a look (DesireData, PurrData, etc).
>>
>> I think this would complement a general, canvas wide set of [mouse] objects. I started by following the existing approach and split functionality into [mouse], [mouseup], and [mousemotion]. Another approach would be to use a single [mouse] object with a status symbol in addition to x & y.

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>