[PD-dev] local canvas-only pd_bind

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 10:54:30 CET 2019

What will be provided in Pd (if any of this) is up to Miller of
course. The current discussion explores implementation options and
challenges. [mousestate] in mode 1 ('patch relative') comes close to
'GOP-relative' mouse tracking as proposed by Christof Ressi earlier in
this thread.

Unfortunately cyclone GUI bypasses Pd own GUI framework to a large
extent and is still full of 'LATER rethink' and 'FIXME'. That makes it
hard to learn from [mousestate] how to design a mouse class to be
(hopefully) embedded in vanilla. Maybe a cyclone expert can port
[mousestate] to a version employing Pd's own GUI API / core functions
to the best possible extent. With that achieved it will be a small
step to upgrade 'patch-relative' to the more useful 'GOP-relative'.
Such a class would be a dream to have in vanilla.

To be clear: the [mousepad] trial, using Pd's widgetbehavior
interface, can not reasonably be extended to include [mousestate]'s
canvas/screen-wide functionality. These are two totally different
behaviors. A class should do one thing, and do it well.

Katja