[PD-dev] CAF file support?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Apr 30 09:28:02 CEST 2019

On 29.04.19 14:09, Dan Wilcox wrote:
> Hah, my other thought was to add an optional libsndfile backend to [soundfiler], [readsf~], & [writesf~]...

hmm.
iirc the reason why there's no native libsndfile support has been to
keep dependencies minimal.
so far, the only dependencies Pd has are for accessing the various audio
APIs.

afaict, "optional" dependencies are not a very pleasant experience in
Pd, e.g. see the fftw situation. in my experience, these optional
dependences just get too little love and testing.

so i'd suggest to either switch completely to those dependencies or not
at all. this of course is miller's decision.
(if the binaries distributed by miller lack libsndfile support, the
efford has been void.)

gmasdr
IOhannes

PS: it's easy enough to create an external library with libsndfile
powers that provides drop-in replacements for [soundfiler], [readsf~] &
[writesf~].