[PD-dev] issues compiling Pd in macOS mojave

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Wed May 1 01:32:22 CEST 2019

For developing, you'll need to generally test using the Pd.app as noticed problems with macOS 10.14 and the built-in Tcl/Tk.

If you are only testing changes on the Pd core and not the Tcl scripts, there is no need to rebuild the Pd.app each time. You can simply copy the pd binary  into the app bundle before running it:

    make
    cp src/pd Pd-0.49-1.app/Contents/Resources/bin
    open ./Pd-0.49-1.app

If you need to see stdout/stderr or run a debugger, you can launch the core from within the app bundle directly:

    ./Pd-0.49-1.app/Contents/Resources/bin/pd

> On May 1, 2019, at 1:27 AM, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 64 bit is the default for compiling the Pd core. Your problem is that you are using the old canonical 32-bit Tk Wish as provided with Pd which has not been updated with Miller's 8.5.19 build yet (as far as I remember).
>
> You need to build Tcl, TK, & Wish yourself and then use it to build Pd.app. This is outlined in mac/README.txt
>
> Your steps should be:
>
> Build Pd
>
>     ./autogen.sh
>     ./configure
>     ./make
>
> Build Wish (and leave it around for reuse)
>
>     mac/tcltk-wish.sh --leave 8.5.19
>
> Build Pd-0.49-1.app
>
>     mac/osx-app.sh --wish Wish-8.5.19 0.49-1
>
>> Hi, I'm doing
>>
>> ./autogen.sh
>> ./configure
>> ./make
>> ./make app
>>
>> but then I can't open Pd in Mojave as it seems to compile for an
>> incompatible 32 bits. Hence, I'm emailing the zipped package and opening it
>> in another computer with an older macOS to test it.
>>
>> Can we make it compile for 64 by default? And what do I need to do to
>> configure it to do so?
>
> --------
> Dan Wilcox
> @danomatika <http://twitter.com/danomatika>