[PD-dev] First complete keyboard navigation prototype

Henri Augusto Bisognini msndohenri at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 8 04:52:45 CEST 2019

Hi!

I've finally managed to get time to finish a prototype for a keyboard navigation interface. I mixed some ideas i had with some I've seen in Desire Data's old screenshot gallery (http://artengine.ca/desiredata/).

I've recorded some gifs to demonstrate it. (https://imgur.com/gallery/WSB40P7). It shows me using the help patch (which i've put in 7.stuff/keyboard.navigation). You can read about which keys to use in the comments.

The source can be found on my GitHub, on the kbd_nav branch (https://github.com/HenriAugusto/pure-data/tree/kbd_nav)

Basically I've wanted to try:

- navigating through objects/inelts connection with ctrl+arrows (cmd+arrows on Mac)
- automatically positioning new objects according to selected inlet/outlet
- a console bar to send messages to the focused patch
- ability to display each object index (to be used with the functionalities below)
- a new "goto" canvas message to select any object in the patch
- a "magnetic connector" that connects the selected in/outlet to the nearest ins/outs
- a "digit connectors" that displays indexes 0 to 9 for the 10 nearest possible connections. Just press the number and it will connect it for you
- pd can automatically fill for you a "connect" message in the console containing the info for the selected inlet/outlet. It will even select for you the part you need to fill
- You can click objects with shift+enter. Mostly useful for sending bangs and opening subpatches/abstractions

Everything is intended to be as minimal as possible and very easy to use. I wish to propose we study including it in vanilla.

Well, what do you guys think?

This is my first time working on a project this big so help me out if i did anything incorrectly. I've been testing the major functions on Win for a while now but couldn't test on mac/linux.

Cheers,
Henri.