[PD-dev] formatting HTML doc in Pd distro?

Miller Puckette msp at ucsd.edu
Sun Jun 30 22:24:48 CEST 2019

On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 08:30:40PM +0200, IOhannes m zm??lnig wrote:
> On 6/30/19 6:05 AM, Miller Puckette wrote:
> > Any advice would be very helpful!
>
> personally, i'd go for markdown as the source format and use pandoc to
> compile it to the final documentation.
>
> reasons:
> - the source document is human readable (with a somewhat meaningful
> visual layout, as opposed to LaTeX)
> - can be compiled to LaTeX (and can include LaTeX-snippets, e.g. for
> complicated formulae).
>
> thus, the repository *could* only contain the source-code of the
> documentation (md), which would still be a meaningful (although not as
> nicely laid out) documentation for the power-user who uses a git clone.
> the documentation would still need to be compiled during the release
> phase though (which i don't see as a big problem; i'd make this step
> optional though).

Cool, I'll investigate this.  It might be cleaner than latex2html.  Meanwhile,
the original reason I made the "manual" in HTML was so that it could be
easy to browse.  Now that PDF readers are universally available and PDFs
can contain links, it might be better to distribute the doc in PDF.  This
would be possible either via latex or (I guess) pandoc.

> > But I don't think it's a good idea to put latex compilation in the Pd
> > compile chain,
>
> why?

ATM I can (and do) compile Pd using only "make", "cc" and "ln" - trying to
keep the dependencies to an absolute minimum.

> > Make Pd able to open files in the native OS (maybe via a new
> > "pdcontrol" object that would issue system commands
>
> afaik, the way to "open files" (using the default application, which is
> what we really want here), is highly system specific.
> e.g. cf the `::pd_menucommands::menu_openfile` (in
> tcl/pd_menucommands.tcl) which (kind of) implements this already, and
> which i would probably use *as is*.

Yep.  Just needs to be available from within Pd vanilla :)