[PD-dev] dynamic patching - is iemguts the way to go?

Nick Porcaro nick at ccrma.stanford.edu
Tue Aug 20 09:47:05 CEST 2019

Hey Folks,

It’s been a while since I’ve done any hard core work with Pd but that time has come again,
and I’m glad to be back on the scene!

In the project I’m working on I need to be able to reconfigure the processing order
of  DSP objects in a given patch on the fly:

For example, from this:

[noise~]
[lop~]
[hip~]
[dac~’

To this:

[noise~]
[hip~]
[lop~]
[dac~]

Of course this is a trivial example, but it’s not if you wanted to arbitrarily reorder
an effects chain with 30 objects in it.

I stumbled across this paper:

https://lac.linuxaudio.org/2009/cdm/Saturday/18_Zmoelnig/zmoelnig_pdreflection.pdf <https://lac.linuxaudio.org/2009/cdm/Saturday/18_Zmoelnig/zmoelnig_pdreflection.pdf>

and this GitHub repo https://github.com/iem-projects/pd-iemguts <https://github.com/iem-projects/pd-iemguts>

and it appears that iemguts might do what I need -

What do you all think?

(I posted this to the patch~ section of the Pd forum as well, and there’s some discussion going on).

- Nick