[PD-dev] dynamic patching - is iemguts the way to go?

William Brent william.brent at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 00:26:04 CEST 2019

Hi Nick,

I made a vanilla abstraction called [DRFX] that builds a routing matrix for
effects abstractions using dynamically created [send~]/[receive~] and
[throw~]/[catch~] busses. You have to follow some basic naming conventions
for the wireless audio busses of your inputs and effects, but then you can
just tell [DRFX] the names of your inputs and effects and it creates a GUI
routing matrix to control effect processing order. You can also control
matrix switches via control send/receive names since it sounds like you
won't want a Pd GUI. It has messages for controlling fade in/out times so
that you can make transitions as desired, and there's also functionality
for parameter presets and exporting/loading routing and parameter presets
from text files. It's been very useful for my needs in multi-FX projects.

You can find it via deken or go to the repo here:
https://github.com/wbrent/DRFX.git
The help patch and INSTRUCTIONS.pdf explain the basics if you want to check
it out and see if it's useful in your case.

William

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 3:57 AM Nick Porcaro <nick at ccrma.stanford.edu>
wrote:

> Hey Folks,
>
> It’s been a while since I’ve done any hard core work with Pd but that time
> has come again,
> and I’m glad to be back on the scene!
>
> In the project I’m working on I need to be able to reconfigure the
> processing order
> of  DSP objects in a given patch on the fly:
>
> For example, from this:
>
> [noise~]
> [lop~]
> [hip~]
> [dac~’
>
> To this:
>
> [noise~]
> [hip~]
> [lop~]
> [dac~]
>
> Of course this is a trivial example, but it’s not if you wanted to
> arbitrarily reorder
> an effects chain with 30 objects in it.
>
> I stumbled across this paper:
>

> https://lac.linuxaudio.org/2009/cdm/Saturday/18_Zmoelnig/zmoelnig_pdreflection.pdf
>
> and this GitHub repo https://github.com/iem-projects/pd-iemguts
>
> and it appears that iemguts might do what I need -
>
> What do you all think?
>
> (I posted this to the patch~ section of the Pd forum as well, and there’s
> some discussion going on).
>
> - Nick

William Brent
www.williambrent.com

“Great minds flock together”
Conflations: conversational idiom for the 21st century

www.conflations.com