[PD-dev] Naming of patch when doing a "save as"

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Sep 19 09:31:14 CEST 2019

(one of the problems with this thread is, that i cannot refrain from
answering...)

On 18.09.19 19:26, jakob skouborg wrote:

>> the days of "Copy of Copy of Kopie von Comb filter 1.2 (17.12.1997)
>> final copy.pd" ought to be gone for good.
>
> That is not what what I am saying or expecting.

no.
but it's one of the consequences of suggesting a scheme like "copy of
<orgfile>".
all *i* am saying is that i don't want such a scheme.

> It is really very simple, just start from the name of last time the patch was saved,
> like basically any other app in the world does today.

did you notice that i never said anything against *that*?
actually, i think it's a pretty sane default (and so far everybody seems
to agree).

>> if you want to do versioning of patches, you probably should look into a
>> proper version-control-system, like 'git'.
>> seriously.
>

> I think that is overcomplicating the "save as" function a little bit.

i never said that this should go into the "save as" functionality.
what i said is that if you want to manage multiple versions of a patch,
you shouldn't use filenames at all, but look instead look into a system
that was designed to manage multiple versions of files.

>> i think that the suggestion shouldn't contain spaces at all
[...]> The name heres was just an example.

<wink>
so how should we fix the current behaviour if the/a suggested solution
is "just an example" and bogus?
</wink>

> Of course I call abstractions something else, without spaces.
>
> I am talking about main/master patches. All though you can still call them “Patchname1”, etc.

the thing is, Pd doesn't really differentiate between "main/master
patches" and "abstractions".

> Anyway, I am just curious about that the rationale is for starting from “untitled”,
> instead of last saved name? Cause to me it doesn’t make sense at all.

i agree with dan here, that (if it's so annoying to people then ) it's
simply a bug and should be fixed.

rfgamsrd
IOhannes