[PD-dev] First complete keyboard navigation prototype

Henri Augusto Bisognini msndohenri at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 10 04:41:08 CEST 2019

Hi!

I have a question regarding how can i use the pimpl idiom in the kbd navigation case.
The editor private members will be defined in g_editor.c.
But since i'm moving the core kbd navigation stuff to it's own file (g_kbdnav.c) i must have a way of accessing this t_kbdnav struct on that file.

Currently i've used the solution (example below) of implementing a canvas_getkbdnav(t_canvas *x) function on g_editor.c that returns a pointer to it's t_kbdnav struct.

Is this okay/good? Why?

Note:
I could make canvas_getkbdnav(t_canvas *x) static and pass a t_kbdnav pointer as a parameter from g_editor to the kbdnav stuff. The problem is that i also i need to call some kbdnav function from the iemgui files (g_toggle.c, g_hslider.c, etc) because they have custom drawing functions that need to call some kbdnav logic to draw the in/outlet selection.

----------g_canvas.h----------

typedef struct _editor {
    void *e_privatedata;
} t_editor;

----------g_editor.c----------

typedef struct _editor_private {
#ifdef HAVE_KEYBOARDNAV
    t_kbdnav kbdnav;
#endif
} t_editor_private;

t_kbdnav* canvas_getkbdnav(t_canvas *x)
{
}

EXTERN t_kbdnav* canvas_getkbdnav(t_canvas *x);

void kbdnav_somefunction(t_canvas *x)
{
    t_kbdnav *kbdnav = canvas_getkbdnav(x);
}