[PD-dev] Double precision externals extensions.

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Dec 10 20:54:29 CET 2019

On 12/10/19 7:22 PM, Lucas Cordiviola wrote:
> Could we have special extension for double-precision external?
>
> Something like foo.m_amd64dp ?
>
> This way we can have external pkgs including both single and double
> externals.
>
> Also instruct Pd to *not* try to load the not current precision and
> avoid crashes.

actually, this is already kind-of-solved.

# avoiding crashes
an external that has been compiled with single-precision will not
register objectclasses in a double-precision Pd - so the doubl-precision
Pd will not know about those new objects and not crash while using them.
same goes for the other way round.

# pkgs including both single- and double-precision externals
a single external binary (say: "foo.dll") can hold both single-precision
and double-precision variants of the [foo] object.

gmasdr
IOhannes