[PD-dev] Fwd: capabilities of data structures with externals

x nor x37v.alex at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 16:54:05 CET 2020

On Sat, Jan 4, 2020 at 2:09 AM João Pais <jmmmpais at gmail.com> wrote:

> I do realize GEM is a possibility but, so many people seem to have trouble
>> getting it working that it is tough to want to build new dependencies on
>> GEM.
>> It does turn out that I am actually converting the data from the
>> datastructures into tables that I read into named arrays that I can read
>> with [tabread~] though I am still using [get]... good though there on using
>> [array get] !
>>

> not sure if gem is so problematic (I only use it sporadically) - there was
> a compatibility issue with 32b build on windows (which can kind of be
> solved), but maybe I'm not following what happens on other OSs.
> If you need to interact with scalars, then data-s would be helpful.
> Sometimes some bugs in tcl/tk happen, and pd has to be restarted.
>
> (I have here a patch with more than 33548 scalars, and that window does
> take lots of time to open.)

Yeah.. my patch does have some issues locking up PD at this time.. the
datastuct is quite complex and if I have the drawing window open when I
create the ds then pd hangs for quite a while.. though once I do the
initial draw opening and closing the window is quick... I do wish I could
have more capabilities for manipulating the visualization without actually
changing any data (zoom) which is something that would be pretty trivial
with GEM.

-Alex