[PD-dev] [PD] double precision merged

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 14:09:08 CET 2020

Forgive me if this has been gone over, but what's the behavior if a single-precision Pd tries to load a double-precision external or vice versa? Does it fail to load or simply crash?

If it crashes, maybe there needs to be some mechanism to query the compiled precision of the external, ie. some sort of function pointer or define, etc. If it's not there, then assume single-precision and act accordingly. It would be nice to have useful error print concerning this. I'm just musing here. :)

> On Feb 26, 2020, at 1:58 PM, pd-dev-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2020 13:58:50 +0100
> From: Christof Ressi <info at christofressi.com <mailto:info at christofressi.com>>
> To: pd-dev at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-dev at lists.iem.at>
> Subject: Re: [PD-dev] [PD] double precision merged
>
> I see you point and I think it's a philosophical issue. In
> Supercollider, for example, I can't compile a UGen plugin and expect it
> to run on both Scsynth and Supernova, I rather have to pass the correct
> define ("SUPERNOVA"). Plugins are therefore usually built twice - with
> and without "-DSUPERNOVA" - and since they have different extensions and
> export different symbols, they can coexist. I think this could be a
> solution for Pd as well. If we had some naming convention for double
> precision externals, we can then just built both versions
> unconditionally and Pd will load the correct version. This can be
> automated by pd-lib-builder.
>
> Christof

--------
Dan Wilcox