[PD-dev] Default value for unconnected signal input, or connection detection in an external

x nor x37v.alex at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 16:16:31 CET 2020

Hey Christof and dev list,

Christof,
I think it was you that did the work that allowed for a default value for
unconnected [inlet~] in the inlet_features branch that didn't get merged?

I'm wondering, is there a way to do that with externals as is without
modifying the pure data source? Either that or a way to detect connectivity?

I want to provide some audio rate controls to an external I'm writing but
not *require* them for operation. 0 isn't a good default for some of these
(amp or frequency multiplication).
If its not possible to provide defaults or detect connectivity (so i can
provide my own defaults) I'll probably just provide optional creation args
to opt in to these audio rate parameters.. but that just ends up being a
lot more work so I figured I'd ask first :)

Thanks,
Alex