[PD-dev] trying to understand class_new

Christof Ressi info at christofressi.com
Sat Mar 21 13:58:08 CET 2020

Hi,

> The code compiles but I get the error when running in the pdint_setup where pdint_new in class_new breaks with an error.
> My idea is to first try to understand the code hence my question:
I think first you should post the error you get ;-) Maybe the problem is
trivially solved without having to look at  code for class_new() at all.
> What does class_new do?
It creates a new Pd class (t_pd). The class contains all the methods and
some metadata. It also registers a creator function in pd_objectmaker,
which is the factory object for all classes.

When you type "[foo 0]" you really send a message "obj <x> <y> foo 0" to
the canvas, which in turn sends a message "foo 0" to pd_objectmaker,
which finally returns a newly created instance (given that it can find a
creator method for "foo").

But again, I think the problem is likely trivial and those
implementation details shouldn't concern you, unless you want to learn
about Pd internals, of course :-)

Christof