[PD-dev] knowing when the patch is in edit mode for an external?

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 23:25:34 CEST 2020

Em sex., 3 de abr. de 2020 às 17:31, IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
escreveu:

> since you already know *that* the built-in comment does that, why don't
> you just lookup the code and see what it does?
> <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/blob/master/src/g_text.c#L1373>

I had tried looking for it, couldn't really find it, and now that I know
where it is, I don't really get it...

And it just seems, one way or another, that you can't use any of it with
externals, right?

As I see it, it uses "gl_edit" to know if it is in edit mode or not. But
that information needs to be queried, right? It's not like Pd gets a
message somewhere whenever it got in or out of edit mode and we can just
use it, so it seems.

Anyway, with my poor comprehension and low coding skills, I'm really just
asking if something easier can be done for externals, and if we could
change the code so we could easily allow externals to react to edit mode
status.

What makes me bet it's not possible and something needed to be done is this
earlier discussion I found
https://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2018-09/123354.html

cheers