[PD-dev] Failed to configure on MacOS 10.14.6

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 12:41:04 CEST 2020

> On Apr 20, 2020, at 11:09 AM, pd-dev-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 11:03:05 +0200
> From: Pierre Guillot <guillotpierre6 at gmail.com <mailto:guillotpierre6 at gmail.com>>
> To: pd-dev <pd-dev at iem.at <mailto:pd-dev at iem.at>>
> Subject: [PD-dev] Failed to configure on MacOS 10.14.6
>
> Hi,
>
> I try to compile Pd on a new computer but the configure fails.
> I installed all the dependencies using Homebrew:
>
> brew install automake autoconf libtool pkg-config gettext

You don't need to do this every time, only once when you set up the build dependencies. This is why you get so many "already installed and up-to-date" messages. At most, you can update Homebrew and the installed packages now and then.

> I run brew link --force gettext
>
> Warning:Refusing to link macOS provided/shadowed software: gettext

> I guess here is the problem....

No. It's only a warning. If gettext is not found, you can still build libpd as gettext is only needed for building the translations in the /po folder.

macOS (and/or the developers tools) comes with an older version of gettext, so to use the newer one provided by Homebrew, you need to add the bin path to the newer one before the other default bin paths which is what the suggestion in the output is telling you. It's not that important as I don't think I've done it either and must be using the default system gettext which works fine.

> Then I run ./autogen.sh
>
> autoreconf: Entering directory `.'

> autoreconf: Leaving directory `.'

That is the normal output which I see as well.

> Then I run ./configure --disable-jack-framework
>
> but I get: .in'ig.status: error: cannot find input file: `Makefile
> (I attached the full output of configure)
>
> Do you have any idea of what I can do to solve the problem?
> Thanks!

Was a Makefile.in created after you ran autopen.sh? The error message is a bit jumbled as it was partially overeaten by another status message, but it seems to say it cannot find a Makefile.in file. Automake should process each Makefile.am into a Makefile.in file which configure then uses.

Also, look at the end of the config.log file which will have more detailed info.

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>