[PD-dev] PD-specific tips for compiling faster on Windows

Christof Ressi info at christofressi.com
Tue Apr 21 10:24:54 CEST 2020

Autotools (especially libtool) is very slow on MinGW. On my system,
compiling the /extra externals takes significantly longer than compiling
the actual Pd application, only because of libtool.

If you want to get faster build times, rewrite the build system in CMake
and compile with MSVC :-)

How often do you need to recompile whole Pd? Usually, you just change
1-2 files and this should compile and link rather quickly. "make app" is
also slow (again, because of libtool). Usually, I only run "make app"
once and then just copy pd.dll into the Pd folder on the command line
(assuming you only make changes to the core):

cp ./src/pd.dll ./pd-0.50.2/bin

Christof