[PD-dev] PD-specific tips for compiling faster on Windows

Christof Ressi info at christofressi.com
Wed Apr 22 16:18:33 CEST 2020

> One danger I'd like to avoid is all of the Windows people *not* using
> the autotools build as then we lose testing and further updates on
> that platform.
That danger is very real :-) I would definitely prefer CMake over autotools.

> but in general I find autotools to be the easiest to use for
> (non-Windows) end users

Actually, I think CMake is quite user friendly, especially in
combination with cmake-gui, where you have all options in a simple table
that you can edit. And configuration usually takes 1 second and not ~1
Minute like ./configure on MinGW...

My personal opinion is that CMake is currently the better choice for
cross-platform apps. Autotools wasn't made for Windows and it shows...

That being said, I think the current Pd build system is good enough (and
big thanks to Dan for setting it up!), but I'd still like to experiment
with CMake to see what benefits it could bring in term of speed,
maintainance and convenience.

BTW, I noticed that portaudio now also offers a CMake build system,
besides their original autotools build system :-)

Christof