[PD-dev] How to create an unsigned Pd.app?

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 10:46:16 CEST 2020

Hi all

I only loosely followed the discussion about how apps for upcoming
macOS versions need to be signed and notarized to run without warnings.

It seems the official builds for macOS distributed by Miller are
signed. Also, when I do 'make app' I seem to get a signed Pd.app. Is
there an easy way to build an unsigned Pd.app?

I got complaints from people that installing netpd is hard and
convoluted. I am now trying to build a netpd.app based on Pd.app that
includes netpd and externals. I got it working so far, but when it is
downloaded through a browser, it triggers a pop up saying "This app is
damaged and cannot be opened" (translated from German). I can remove
the com.apple.quarantine attribute with:

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine netpd-2.2.app

and then it runs fine, but having to use the terminal to make it work
defeats the purpose of the whole exercise.

I am actually only assuming the "damaged" pop-up is caused by a
signature that I render invalid by manipulating it. Maybe I do
something wrong that is totally unrelated. The signature thing just
seemed the most likely reason.

Any hints are welcome.

Roman