[PD-dev] Querying for object resize width

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 18:11:00 CEST 2020

Hi Derek, trying to look into this as well and add more info and my own
questions...

Pd objects get saved with their width size info in the "obj_saveformat"
function here =>
https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/blob/2fa003d03d2deb6792659ce6cbb81cda9df38581/src/m_obj.c#L766

This will give you, for instance, "#X obj 100 100 f*, f 50*;", which is a
[f ] object with width size = 50.

But I don't really understand how this obj_saveformat is called for every
object in the canvas...

I know the width is set here when we're editing the patch
https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/blob/2ec4ff693fb34e08a0a2b9e3e3700db51bc4075b/src/g_editor.c#L3235

This editing function works for coll as for every other object. We can even
use the undo function and get the previously setted size, the only thing is
that coll is failing to save this information.

I don't really know how coll gets saved but it just bypasses Pd's mechanism
(which I also don't know how it works or gets called as I said). What I
know is that if we edit the .pd file and manually add  something like ", f
50" after the coll object (giving us something like  "#X obj 100 100 coll,
f 50;"), Pd will effectively load the patch with a resized coll object. So
yeah, we just need to find a way to get coll to use  obj_saveformat and
store the "te_width" information.

How to do that? No idea, and I hope the Pd wizards can help us :)

cheers