[PD-dev] What is Wish version of Pd?

Jonas Bechtel post at jbechtel.de
Fri Oct 23 20:44:24 CEST 2020

Hello,

I'm coming from the GNU/Linux world, so I cannot reproduce it here.

AFAIK there's no special dependency on the version. I can run any of pd 0.49 / 0.51 with any of wish 8.5 / 8.6, which are independent packages here.

Maybe you could use a pre-built wish shell (I'm pretty sure there's a Wish.app containing tcl/tk for recent Mac OS)

Excerpt from s_inter.c:

            char *wish_paths[11] = {
[compiled hint],
[home dir],
 "/Applications/Utilities/Wish.app/Contents/MacOS/Wish",
 "/Applications/Utilities/Wish Shell.app/Contents/MacOS/Wish Shell",
 "/Applications/Wish.app/Contents/MacOS/Wish",
 "/Applications/Wish Shell.app/Contents/MacOS/Wish Shell",
 "/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Resources/Wish.app/Contents/MacOS/Wish",
 "/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Resources/Wish Shell.app/Contents/MacOS/Wish Shell",
 "/System/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Resources/Wish.app/Contents/MacOS/Wish",
 "/System/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Resources/Wish Shell.app/Contents/MacOS/Wish Shell",
 "/usr/bin/wish"
            };

So looks like there are different versions supported.

You can even override that with -guicmd CLI option of the compiled C program like this:

cd [...]/pd-0.xx-x/
pd -guicmd true
# (If "true" isn't available on Mac, use any other command which succeeds, e. g. echo ABC)
# Ignore watchdog messages

Then you can find the open port - may help this https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/346992
(In pd 0.49 port is 5400. The number 5400 may increase, so if there's another puredata instance running, it's 5401, etc. In pd 0.51 it is chosen randomly, and there's no convenient way to get the number, and it's not even noted in Changelog)

And in another shell:
cd [...]/pd-0.xx-x/
wish tcl/pd-gui.tcl 5400
# Instead of "wish" you my need to give the full path to your installed wish app, e. g. it could look like this:
# /Applications/Wish.app/Contents/MacOS/Wish tcl/pd-gui.tcl 5400
# Use the actual port number, not 5400

Another aspect: the problems with rendering sound strange to me - do you have a firewall which delays local TCP connections? (Because pd uses one, and this needs to be free-of-delay)

Best Regards
 Jonas

On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 14:54:52 +0200 (CEST)
Nicolas Danet <nicolas.danet at free.fr> wrote with subject