[PD-dev] implementing pools of clocks?

Iain Duncan iainduncanlists at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 16:16:19 CET 2020

Thanks Christof, that is helpful again, and also encouraging as it
describes pretty well what I've done so far in the Max version. :-)

I've enabled both one shot clocks (storing them in a hashtable owned by the
external) and periodic timers. The one shot clocks exist in both a
transport aware and transport ignorant format for working with and
quantizing off the Max global transport, and there are periodic timers for
both too. (The transport time stops when the transport is stopped, the
other is just a general X ms timer). I have also ensured the callback
handle gets passed back so that any timer or clock can be cancelled from
Scheme user-space. (is there such a thing as a global transport in PD?)

I was actually planning on something like you described in Scheme space: a
user defined scheduler running off the timers. I will look into priority
queues. I had one thought, which I have not seen much, and was part of the
reason I was asking on here about schedulers. I would like to ensure the
user can run multiple transports at once, and hop around in time without
glitches. I was thinking that instead of using just a priority queue, I
would do something like a two stage structure, perhaps with a hashmap or
some other fast-read-anywhere structure with entries representing a time
period, and holding priority queues for each period. This would be to
enable the system to seek instantly to the bar (say) and iterate through
the queue/list for that bar. Wondering if anyone has used or seen this type
of pattern or has suggestions? Basically I want to make sure random access
in time will work ok even if the number of events in the schedule is very
high, thus allowing us to blur the lines between a scheduler and a full
blown sequencer engine. Thoughts, suggestions, and warnings are all welcome.

iain