[PD-dev] SVG Knob idea based on VCV Rack knob implementation

Jakob Skouborg syntaxerror60 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 30 19:05:29 CET 2020

Hey guys!

Had a really long week, so didn’t have too much time to look into the mailing list.

Alexandre:
Yes, it was basically just to have a knob, but a more customisable knob. I did take part in the knob talk, both in Facebook group and on GitHub.

This idea was just the next step(in my head at least) :)

I just thought it would be a bit more “open” to have a knob that can change the way it looks, by loading an SVG on to it. It would really open up a huge world for making nicer UI’s in PD :)

I will look into the tcl/tk stuff, thanks :)

Jonathan:
Oh, so it’s not going to be a straight forward job, I guess. I will do some research about the tcl/tk, to understand it a bit better, thanks for the hints. All though it doesn’t seem possible, as you describe it.

I did think about the knob idea, with maybe 128 images, with different knob positions. But it seems like a huge amount of work to go through and would have to be redone if one wants to make another knob, with another UI. But yeah, I think I need to try it out :)

The game looks really cool by the way, inspiring ;)

I try to just use one single version of PD, before I had many instances and settings messed up all the time, cause it loaded the wrong settings for the wrong version of PD and make a mess of things. So I try to just stick with one single version.

Have a great weekend ;)

Jakob

Alexandres mail pasted in:

Hi, is this only for "knobs" and just to have a knob in Pd? I assume not, cause there are knob externals for Pd and a PR to include one in Vanilla https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/938 <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/938>

But I guess the point is a more generic object to load SVG files and period, which sounds like a good thing in general!

I'm still learning a bit about GUI objects in Pd, but I guess what you need to research is if tcl/tk can load SVG files and how.

So start by doing a google search on "tcl/tk + SVG". For what I see in the same search is that it does seem possible indeed!