[PD-dev] Issues building PD 0.51.x

David Rush kumoyuki at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 16:22:29 CET 2020

On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 at 14:53, Christof Ressi <info at christofressi.com> wrote:

> indicating that _WIN32 is not defined.
>
> So if I instead build with CFLAGS=-D_WIN32, I get a different set of
> errors while building s_inter.c
>
> If "_WIN32" is not defined by the compiler, something is going very
> wrong...

Well...-ish. I've seen these compiler defining constants come and go and
mutate over the decades and versions. Even u$oft did it in VS a couple of
versions ago. I had to go back and twiddle SO MANY bits of code that all
had slightly different ways of detecting OS and machine details.

> usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-msys/10.2.0/../../../../x86_64-pc-msys/bin/ld:
> pd-s_audio_oss.o: in function `oss_open_audio':
>
> This files should never be built on Windows in the first place. Can you
> post the full output of the "./configure" and "make" command and attach
> them as text files?

However, I did find this odd. My configure output ends with

configure:

    pd 0.51.3 is now configured

    Platform:             Unknown
    Debug build:          no
    Universal build:      no
    Localizations:        yes
    Source directory:     .
    Installation prefix:  /usr

    Compiler:             gcc
    CPPFLAGS:
    CFLAGS:                -ffast-math -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer
-O3
    LDFLAGS:
    INCLUDES:
    LIBS:                 -lpthread -ldl

    External extension:
    External CFLAGS:
    External LDFLAGS:

    fftw:                 no
    wish(tcl/tk):         wish
    audio APIs:           OSS
    midi APIs:            OSS

and yet, I still see portaudio/portmidi being built. I wonder if the
configure process is actually what is going wrong here?

> Just for the record, can you successfully build other software with Msys2?
> Just to rule out a general problem with your Msys2 installation.

PD (and my externals) are the only software of substance I am currently
building with Msys2. Mostly I work in Scheme and Haskell when doing my own
hacking, and VS C++ for money.

Logs &cet attached