[PD-dev] multi-architecture deken packages

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Apr 14 22:10:04 CEST 2021

On 4/14/21 20:08, porres wrote:
 >> armv6 = ?? (maybe .pd_linux)
 >> armv7 = .l_arm
 >> armv8 = .l_arm64
 >
 > well, yeah, if we have just a package for raspbrry pis, then we can
 > pack these 3 together, of course!!!
 >
 > pd_linux was listed for Linux-amd64-32 (regular 64 bits Linux), so the
 > problem would be to pack this with it as well - unless there's
 > something else specfic for this architecture.

.pd_linux is the generic externsion for Pd-externals under linux -
regardless of architecture. Pd on Linux will look for this extension on
DEC/alpha, RPi/zero, i386 and HAL/9000.
the arch-specific extenion for i386 on linux is (of course) .l_i386 (if
you've ever encountered a .d_i386 or .m_i386, you might see a pattern).

the arch-agnostic extensions (.pd_linux, .pd_darwin, .dll) are often
used for i386, because in the olden days that was the only extension.
if you happen to run a Pd<<0.40 chances are that you are using a 32bit Pd.

 > Anyway,  I guess it makes sense to pack the 3 pi versions together,
 > then the 2 linux also together (32/64 bits), then windows in the same
 > way (32/64) and the mac fat binary for both 32/64 bits. 4 Packages
 > instead of 8!

i cannot follow.
why does it make sense to separate by OS? what's the advantage of having
separate Windows and macOS packages, instead of a single package that
contains both Windows and macOS binaries?

also, what are the "2 linux (32/64 bits)"?; i currently count "*5* linux
(32/64 bits)" in this discussion alone.

sidenote: there actually *is* a reason to not lump all the binaries
together: filename size.
since the architectures are encoded in the filename, and filenames
typically have a limited length (256 characters on many filesystems!),
this limits the number of architectures you can possibly have in a
single deken package.

i stumbled upon this when testing deken.
however, i think in real-world, the deken package with most
architectures is probably zexy (1*Darwin,2*Windows,4*Linux) which has a
total filename size of 131 characters.
Adding the missing Darwin/i386 and Linux/armv6 and the legacy
Darwin/ppc, would give us 182 chars, which still has a bit of headroom
before becoming an actual problem.

mgdsr
IOhannes