[PD-dev] multi-architecture deken packages

Esteban Viveros emviveros at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 03:20:35 CEST 2021

Thanks IOhannes for your explanations.

So I'm convinced be good to have a unified binary package. To achieve that
I understand we need to ship only armv6 and aarch64 archs for RPi once
armv7 can insert noise in Pd external loading system.

I don't know how to benchmark armv6 and armv7 compilations, but I think
maybe armv7 binaries can be provided via github repository for users who
want to try it. This because I'm thinking deken packages need to work every
time.

About .pd_linux extension. If every pd compiled arch can run .pd_linux
extension it can be loaded inadvertently and cause crash to load external.
So we need ever to name binaries in the new way (new for me at least) aka
l_i386 , l_amd64 , l_arm, l_arm64 and so on for other OSs...

The older Pd version which theoretically stay alive is 0.48.1-3 in Ubuntu
Bionic which is supported until April 2023. If this version of Pd have
deken support, how can we differ the unified version of a specific i386 and
amd64 binaries shipped in distinct dek packages? I think maybe these old
system can be supported via github repository once add more two packages
teoretically would add noise to the majority of users (newest pd versions).

Make sense?

Em qua., 14 de abr. de 2021 às 19:34, Alexandre Torres Porres <
porres at gmail.com> escreveu:

> Em qua., 14 de abr. de 2021 às 16:47, IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
> escreveu:
>
>> regarding `armv6` and `armv7` in a single folder, i'm not sure whether
>> this would work:
>> - if a `Pd-armv7` happens to see the `armv6` external first, it will
>> just load it (and never try to `armv7` binary)
>> - if a `Pd-armv6` happens to see the `armv7` external first, it will
>> just try load it: and i think the *loading* would succeed, leading to
>> crashes whenever an illegal (armv7-)instruction is encountered.
>

> Ok, I got questions now on how loading works. We know .pd_linux for
> instance, can be used generically for any architecture. But I guess Pd
> knows if that .pd_linux file is actually good or not. Like, let's get the
> zexy bundle, for instance, you have 4 linux versions there and one is
> .pd_linux, how do the other 3 know that this .pd_linux. is not for them,
> right? Same thing would be true for other generic extensions such as .dll I
> assume.
>
> But then, there may be an exception here only for armv6 x armv7, where
> it just can't really know, right?

 Esteban Viveros

www.estebanviveros.com